Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

Vegetarians travelling to US

Though I am a non-vegetarian, this article will be useful to all vegetarians. I have travelled to the US quite frequently and I thought I will share my experiences on how I survived with minimum cooking. This will particularly be useful to those who are unable to find decent vegetarian food outside.

You do get frozen paratas, chappatis and oothappams but the challenge is to get a dish to go with it. I had tried out the Frozen Indian foods (microwavable). They give a strong masala smell and it is quite pungent and difficult to eat on a daily basis. So, here are a few tips. Get the following ingredents (all inexpensive) - tawa (for heating chappatis), cooking oil (vegetable oil), a metal ice cream scoop with a thick plastic handle (available at the dollar store), mustard and cummin seed. After heating the frozen foods in the microwave. Heat the oil for about 3 mins in the ice cream scoop, then add a few mustard seeds and some cummin seeds, mix it with the microwaved food and you have delicious smelling food. Deep foods' Mirchi Masala is one of my favourite brands. No! I am not being paid to write this article.

No comments: